Your company logo is a vital piece of the corporate image. It is the hallmark by which your potential customers will identify your brand on all occasions. Our logo is our reference image. Something with which our clients can identify us in different contexts and allow us to differentiate ourselves from the competition. It is an image in which we try to “hook up” the characteristics that define us as a company, that helps us build our identity and that sends a message to the world about what we do and how we do it.
Remember that here at Website Connection we can help you set up your online store and improve your sales volume considerably.
Many times, we do not recognise the due importance to the logo design. The logo design should be a thoughtful decision since it will be our final cover letter.
Characteristics of a good logo
- A good logo should be simple and not have superficial decorative elements that are not essential to convey our message as a brand.
- It must be original, easily remembered and identifiable. The idea is to differentiate yourself from the rest so that our brand stands out from the others.
- You must capture the essence of the brand, so when designing it, it is essential to know both the brand and the target audience of it.
- A good logo must be attractive to the target audience of the brand. Designing for a target audience for children is not the same as for a target audience made up of middle-aged men. The colors, shapes and symbols must be adapted to the audience we are addressing. To put yourself in the shoes of your brand’s target audience, you can use a tool like empathy map.
- It must be reproducible at any size (be vectorised). That way we can use it on our business cards, to label a truck or to make our local sign. If your logo is not vectorised, you will have problems if one day you want to touch it up, use it on a large surface, etc.
- Be adaptable to different formats: It should look good in all types of sizes, for example on a mobile screen, such as the favicon of your website … It should also work if we use it as a watermark, with or without background, in negative , in black and white…
- It is important that it is present in all the elements of the company: the sign of the premises, the letterhead of an invoice, the signature of an e-mail… any site is good to spread it.
- It must be timeless: Although the ideal is to have a logo that is timeless and survives as time goes by, small tweaks and modernisations are a good way to keep up and project a dynamic image. Changing the logo when our customers already identify us with an image is a mistake.
Is it a good idea to change or redesign your logo when you feel it has become a bit outdated?
Here are some of the most common reasons why brands consider a change or redesign of the logo:
- The current logo was designed in a homemade way a text editor like word, a very basic program like power point or paper and does not have a professional quality. If your company grows, your logo must be able to accompany its growth. But if at the time it was designed casually without the right programs, you will end up encountering many problems.
- You have used as a logo an image or drawing that is not vectorised and now you are encountering problems when you can use it in different formats and sizes.
- Your logo has become outdated, it has an outdated air and you don’t feel that it already reflects your brand values. Important companies such as Cocacola or Apple have redesigned their logos over the years to modernise them and adapt them to current tastes.
- You don’t feel comfortable with the image of your brand. Our lack of experience can make us wrong when we are starting to undertake. As time goes by, you can realise that the logo you chose does not represent you.
Before starting a logo change, we advise you to take a few turns to these questions:
- If your clientele feels very identified with your logo, changing it totally will be a mistake. The best thing in this case is not to make a radical change, if not some subtle improvements.
- Hire a professional logo design so you will ensure that your company image lasts over time and you can use them in any size and support.
- Nor can you be constantly changing your brand image. That would make it difficult to identify your customers with your brand and differentiation from the competition. If you are going to make a change, try to make it final.
What if I buy a logo in an image bank?
You can find predesigned logos very cheap in image banks. But using a predesigned logo brings some inconvenience.
Your logo will never be unique: Anyone can buy the same logo as you and use it for your company. There may be many companies with the same brand image, when in reality your company image would have to be unique. In practice, that means that your brand is not easily recognisable or stands out from the others.
Since they are also designed for different sectors (logos for lawyers, logos for doctors, etc.), then it is very likely that a competitor ends up having the same logo as you.
They are not original designs: As designers who sell logos to image banks earn very little with each sale, they make the designs in series, as in a factory. The result is very simple logos with very obvious and mass-produced symbols with small variations. So, you not only run the risk of having companies with the same logo, but also of having them with virtually the same logos.
What do you have to avoid?
- Falling into fashions or trends, it will be like putting an expiration date on your logo.
- Homemade designs made with programs that are not for serious designs.
- Logos bought in image banks, there will be thousands of companies with the same logo.
- Use an unprofessional typeface, too ornate or difficult to read.
- Design the logo thinking of you instead of your customers.
- Choose an ornate logo full of details.
- Choose a logo that only works well in color.
- Copy to your competition
Here at Website Connection you can find a team of professionals ready to assist you and help you achieve the final result you want you need for your corporative or personal website.